Aztec Take Away (start at 50, then race to 0)
A fun whole-class subtraction game.
- Year 1: Read, write and interpret mathematical statements involving addition (+), subtraction (−) and equals (=) signs.
- Year 1: Represent and use number bonds and related subtraction facts within 20
- Year 1: Add and subtract one-digit and two-digit numbers to 20, including 0
- Year 2: Recall and use addition and subtraction facts to 20 fluently, and derive and use related facts up to 100
- Year 2: Add and subtract numbers using concrete objects, pictorial representations, and mentally, including: a two-digit number and 1s,a two-digit number and 10s...
- Year 3: add and subtract numbers mentally, including: a three-digit number and 1s, a three-digit number and 10s, a three-digit number and 100s.
- Split your class into two teams (red & green).
- Red team's player is on the left. Their pot of goo is on the right, above the other team's head!
- The winner is the first team to reach zero, (and pour their coloured goo on the other team's head!)
- Read the calculation. Use the 50 square to calculate and choose your answer.
- The subtractions are between 1 and 12. There is no 0 in this new version of the game.
- Don't forget to talk about how you worked it out!
- Press 'check'.
- Correct answers will rotate the pot.
- Answer incorrectly and you miss a turn.