Explore = <, > and pose hidden number Maths Stories.
- Y1: read, write and interpret mathematical statements involving addition (+), subtraction (−) and equals (=) signs
- Y1: add and subtract one-digit and two-digit numbers to 20, including 0
- Y1: solve one-step problems that involve addition and subtraction, using concrete objects and pictorial representations, and missing number problems such as 7 = ? − 9
- Y2: compare and order numbers from 0 up to 100; use =, < and > signs
- Y2: add and subtract numbers [using concrete objects] and mentally, including:
- a two-digit number and 1s
- a two-digit number and 10s
- 2 two-digit numbers
- adding 3 one-digit numbers,
- Y2: show that addition of 2 numbers can be done in any order (commutative) and subtraction of 1 number from another cannot
- Y2: recognise and use the inverse relationship between addition and subtraction and use this to check calculations and solve missing number problems
This is intended as a whole-class teaching tool.
Make an expression on each side of the scales.
Waiting before pressing the test button allows the children time to think.
Then press the middle button to test.
NB: Pressing 'AC' also tests the expressions; it just made sense to let the empty side rise to the top.
Build on the learning with