Vertical / Column Subtraction
A demonstration tool for vertical subtraction
- Year 2: solve problems with subtraction using concrete objects and pictorial representations, including those involving numbers, quantities and measures
- Year 2: solve problems with subtraction by applying their increasing knowledge of mental and written methods
- Year 2: to [add and] subtract numbers using concrete objects, pictorial representations, and mentally, including
- a two-digit number and ones
- a two-digit number and tens
- two two-digit numbers
This resource is designed for demonstration of formal written methods for 2-digit vertical subtraction.
The calculation is shown in a horizontal format first as children frequently find it tricky to
transcribe one to the other.
The tricky columns tick box allows the random digits 1 to 9. This means that there are sometimes no tricky columns!
If you're working from home why not allow the children to set their own questions using this resource on a tablet.
HAVING TROUBLE LOADING? Please try this version.